Works with the Pastor and the Worship Team to minister through music in the local church and beyond by choosing and leading the congregation and sanctuary choir in praise songs and hymns which show sensitivity to the needs of the un-churched and meet the expectations of the members in the blended service, leading the choir through music choices and rehearsals for special and seasonal music.
Professes faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Committed to support St. Matthew’s mission to Love, Grow and Go as fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- ●Supports and embraces the leadership, spiritual authority, and philosophies of the Pastor.
- ●Serves as a member of the worship team and administrative staff under the direction of the Pastor.
- ●In conjunction with the pastor, directs and coordinates the sanctuary choir program including the scheduling of rehearsals and performances by the choirs, accompanists, ensembles, and individuals for the church.
- ●Attends bi-monthly staff meetings.
- ●Meets with the Pastor, Accompanist, Praise Leader and other staff as needed to review and plan regular and special seasonal worship experiences.
- ●Promotes the growth of the music ministry program by contacting new members, prospects and others who can contribute to the program and find a more meaningful service commitment through music.
- ●Prepares for and attends choir and worship service rehearsals and leads congregational singing at worship services.
- ●Assists the church council in evaluating and establishing yearly goals and a yearly budget for the music ministry.
- ●Monitor music expenses.
- ●Directs the Sanctuary Choirs for all morning worship services, selecting music and scheduling and directing regular weekly choir rehearsals.
- ●Coordinates music from the hymnal for regular worship services with emphasis on seasonal or sermon topic related selections.
- ●Orders, catalogs and stores music for the sanctuary choir.
- ●Integrates or blends Sanctuary Choirs and Praise Team selections during worship services as requested by the Pastor and/or the Worship Team.
- ●Coordinates, schedules, and rehearses vocal or instrumental solos and ensembles for regular and special services.
- ●Assists in the planning and conducting of funerals and weddings as requested.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- ●Capable of reading music
- ●Knowledgeable of Methodist hymnals and traditions
- ●High School Diploma or GED (Some music training preferred)
- ●Three years of related experience
- ●Able to communicate using tact and persuasion as appropriate
- ●Good oral and written communication skills
- ●Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- ●Ability to prioritize tasks, exercise sound judgment
- ●Must be able to work well in a team environment
- ●Must submit to routine background checks
- ●Must be willing to submit to drug testing
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sing. The employee frequently is required to use arms, hands, and fingers to direct the musicians and handle and pass out lightweight materials. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision and hearing abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.